At Oakley CE Combined School, we echo the belief stated in the National Curriculum (2014) that "...a high-quality mathematics education provides a foundation for understanding the world, the ability to reason mathematically, an appreciation of the beauty and power of mathematics, and a sense of enjoyment and curiosity about the subject.”
The aim of mathematics at Oakley CE Combined School is to develop mastery through:
- courage, a positive attitude and growth mindset towards mathematics and an awareness of the relevance of mathematics in the real world;
- competence, confidence and trust in mathematical knowledge, concepts and skills;
- a coherent knowledge of the key recall facts that enable fluent mathematical problem solving;
- an ability to solve problems creatively - to reason, to think logically and to work systematically and accurately;
- initiative, perseverance and an ability to work both independently and in compassionate cooperation with others;
- an ability to communicate mathematically, using a deep understanding of the language and concepts concerned;
- an ability to use and apply mathematics across the curriculum and in real life;
- an understanding of mathematics through a clear process of instruction, enquiry and experiment.
We offer a rich and varied range of teaching approaches to achieve these ends, always striving to challenge every one of our pupils to make the maximum progress regardless of their starting point, with an understanding that different levels of support may be required to help them achieve their goals.