At Oakley CE Combined School, our music curriculum aims to ‘engage and inspire pupils to develop a love of music and their talent as musicians, and so increase their self-confidence, creativity and sense of achievement.’ (National Curriculum, 2014).
At our school, our children:
- Develop understanding of music as ‘a universal language that embodies one of the highest forms of creativity’ (National Curriculum 2014);
- Persevere when learning an instrument in order to achieve the very best they can;
- Take pride in their performance, both as individuals and as part of a group;
- Trust and support each other in group work and are compassionate towards each other - taking joint responsibility for compositions and performances;
- Enjoy music for recreation as well as to develop skills;
- Perform in music making at the highest level and in locally and nationally important venues;
- Are given the opportunity to take time to appreciate the beauty of music, both recorded and live.
We offer a rich and varied range of teaching approaches to achieve these ends, always striving to challenge every one of our pupils to make the maximum progress regardless of their starting point, with an understanding that different levels of support may be required to help them achieve their goals.